What is an essay?
– a literary science in which the scientific exposition of a life or cognitive issue is handled with literary-scientific style and procedures.
– Croatian name: ogled
A school essay text in which it is important to answer some questions and to express their own knowledge and writing skills about a topic or problem
Types of essay:
interpretation-interpretation, explanation of meaning, explanation of the text, exposition, comprehension
sums up thoughts, interprets, explains and judges on the basis of true facts and evidence (arguments)
– knowledge of general culture (reading, books, culture) and knowledge of contemporary social reality (any problem in the world of work, free time, art, sports, media, consumer society, technological progress, gender equality,
Comparative – analysis
– there are at least two texts that link a feature, such as theme, main motif, literary species, style era, etc.
– should pronounce its own attitude based on literary education
– the problem, the similarity and the difference between the offered texts should be noticed
topic – subject matter of discussion, main thought
thesis – a setting, a claim that the author intends to prove, defend
argument – proof, justification, explanation
quoting – literally state what someone said or wrote
paraphrase -exclude someone else’s text, thought, etc., say something in other words
attitude – positive or negative evaluation of people, objects or ideas.
problem – a theoretical or practical issue to be solved
Steps to write essays
- Read the text (s) or think about the subject
- set the thesis
- Write key words, arguments, quotes (all that falls to your mind – “storm of ideas”), if the text is in the text, underline the quotes
- Write key phrases from keywords
- to agree the terms according to a sense: to determine what will go into the introduction, which is in the elaboration and in the conclusion – the key part of the essay writing
- Compose the concept from concept – compile an introduction, elaborate, conclusion
- Read a few more work, correct mistakes, change parts of text, shorten, extend text …
to evaluate your work
How to write a good essay?
Always write about the default theme.
If you write a text-related essay, do not write in general or recite the content, but show your personal experience of the work and thinking that the text has inspired.
Good essay arises:
– careful reading of the starting text (excerpt) or a good selection of theses
– preparing notes / inscriptions
– writing their views and ideas about the problem
– linking the author’s and his ideas and attitudes (by opposing or settling)
– linking the fragment with the whole of the work and the overall issue (let’s say the fragmentation is crucial or essential for the work as a whole)
– updating the problem
– through active reflection and offering of its own solution